Sunday, April 18, 2010

A little bit of felt

I've made my own felt embellishments before, but it's been a while, so I decided it was time to try out a few things. For now, I'm making do with the felt that's available locally. I found several colours at my local Fabricland. The brand is Ecospun, and the felt is polyester made from recycled pop bottles. So how does it cut?



I did a few tests with thin dies and thick dies. The thick dies cut the felt better. After the cut, I had to go in with a fine pair of scissors and trim a few tiny corners and some of the extra fuzz. It really wasn't that bad though. For .79 a 9x12 sheet, I don't mind!

The thin dies cut well once I added a shim into the equation. I used the cuttlebug and with nestabilities or PTI dies, I found that A,C, die/felt, B, cardboard shim gave the best results. It even embossed the felt a little bit, which was kind of cool!

So here is my completed project. It's a pretty basic layout. I wanted the felt scallops and flower to really be the focus.
Supplies:
Stamps: Polka Dot Basics, Giga Guidelines, It's a Celebration
Paper: Smokey Shadow, White, Hibiscus Burst
Ink: True Black, Hibiscus Burst
Accessories, etc.: Black and Fuchsia felt, button, string, nestabilities scalloped long rectanglies, Blossom Party die


12 comments:

  1. Wow - I love that felt flower!!! I tried ordering the flower set from PTI this week but they were still outta stock :*(
    Great card!!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. The felt flower is sooo pretty! I also love the simplicity of the card.(I really do need to order some stuff from PTI...sigh:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. simple and elegant card.
    I cut a lot of felt with my die cut machine to make pretend play food. It works really well.. and the circles are always perfect...I might need to find a fancy flower like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card. I love the colour combo and that felt flower and button is the perfect embellishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Natasha! Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

    I'll have to give this a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh the colors grabbed my attention right away Natasha. Your felt embellishment is wonderful and for that price you can make lots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing Natasha! I've wondered about felt, but did not want to spend $5 for a piece of it. It's good to know that you and some other stampers are having good results with the more economical felt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Felt is so fabulous - I love what you've done with it here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card! Love the colors and that pretty flower. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute flower and scalloped border! Thanks for sharing info about cutting felt - I've been a bit unsure about using fabrics / felts though cuttlebug.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the tips on cutting felt. I always try die, fabric, card stock. It seems to work. This simple card is so striking! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have found that if I put a piece of plain paper under the felt, then the B plate, it cuts MUCH better! So simple! Your beautiful card reminded me that I need to use my PTI dies more!

    ReplyDelete