Monday, August 07, 2017

MFT Sketch & Colour Challenges


First up the colour challenge. This one was a bit tricky for me, since I don't have these colours and they are pretty unique. I managed to find a blue-ish purple that worked for "Purple Rain" (I think I used a now retired SU!). The "Factory Green" wasn't too difficult to match either. However, since I don't have inks to go with the three vibrant colours, I decided to rely on Copics.

I made a simple scene, using a cloud stitched die on some Soft Stone card stock (filling in for Grout Gray). I adhered that to the sky and then stamped and cut out my dragon and his little puff of smoke. 


It still felt too simple once assembled, so I decided to make my sky a starry sky. I used a bit of watered down silver reinker and the end of a paint brush to add little dots all over. I also added a shimmer layer to my dragon.



Supplies:
Stamps: Magical Dragons
Ink: Memento- Tuxedo Black, Silver reinker
Paper: Dark Blue/Purple, Simply Chartreuse, Soft Stone, White
Accessories, etc.: Lawn Fawn Puffy Cloud Borders, wink of stella


Now, onto the sketch. I have to say, this one was giving me a similar vibe to one a few weeks back, but I still like it. I wasn't really sure where I wanted to go with this, so I just kind of started playing around. When inspiration isn't immediate, I find that I work best to just get out some watercolour paper, some distress inks, and go with it. It worked!

I decided to start with a piece of paper edged with one of the stitched scallop basic edges. Next I did a water wash and added in rainbow stripes (Fired Brick, Spiced Marmalade, Mustard Seed, Mowed Lawn, Mermaid Lagoon, Wilted Violet). Once that was done, I was looking around my desk, and remembered that I have the Floral Fantasy stamp. I tend to forget about rubber stamps, but I still appreciate how much sturdier rubber  background stamps feel. So I spritzed the 6x6 background with water and held it on my background for a few seconds. I gave it almost a batik or tie-dye look. To accentuate the background image even more, I decided to stamp the same image with versamark and apply clear embossing powder. It's subtle, but a really neat look.


To finish it off, I stamped a sentiment from the Rainbow of Happiness set (so sad to see this one retired) and to balance the black sentiment, I added some sheer black polka dot ribbon. This is from a super old ribbon share I did years ago, but this stuff still is classic. Love products that don't really fall out of trend!

Supplies:
Stamps: Floral Fantasy, Rainbow of Happiness
Ink: Fired Brick, Spiced Marmalade, Mustard Seed, Mowed Lawn, Mermaid Lagoon, Wilted Violet, Versamark, Black
Paper: White, Watercolour
Accessories, etc.: stitched scallop basic edges dies, ribbon, clear embossing powder



No comments:

Post a Comment