Monday, August 19, 2019

Camp Create August 2019



I had so much fun with July's Camp Create that I decided to tackle August's as well!

First Up Inlaid Made Easy:


For this card, I started off with a mostly completed blended background from my stash of pre-blended backgrounds. The only update I made was adding in some white speckles using white acrylic paint, because I wanted a slightly snowy scene. I first die cut the Birch Trees from the background. I die-cut another set from white paper and inlay those into the background. I wanted a layered look to the dies, so I used the Peace word die (now retired, but you could use Impact Alphabet) and cut that out from the base layer. I die-cut a second set from silver cardstock and inlay those into the background. The final step was adding a little "on earth" banner from the Peace stamp and die Hero Arts set and then placing the entire background onto a dark grey card based. 


Next Magnificent Masking:


I loved the samples for this challenge, but decided to do some more traditional masking. I recently got the Cool Cat set and hadn't used it yet. I started my scene by stamping the larger shorthair (coloured grey and white). I made a mask of that cat, and stamped the ones on either side of it. I also made a mask of the one with the necklace so that just a bit of the orange one would be behind it. I also loved the look of the cat with the bow-tie in the one image, but only wanted to use the one cat, so I did some more specific masking here to block out the other cat and the bed in that image.

After that was done, I got to colouring with various Copics and other alcohol markers. I added a hand-drawn shadow underneath the group of cats, and added in some of the other elements from this set to complete the scene (the food/water dish, the fish bowl and the vase). I decided on a more simple layout and found some basic polka dot paper from my patterned paper stash.



Now, onto Background Bonanza:



Realistically, almost all of the cards I made for this session of Camp Create could have applied to this challenge, although this was the specific one I designed with the challenge in mind. I started off with the now retired hooray die- I die cut it twice with some ultra thick white cardstock and applied a layer of wink of stella to give it a pretty shimmer.

The background was made using regular distress inks- Squeezed Lemonade, Spiced Marmalde, Picked Raspberry, Wilted Violet and Salty Ocean. I blended the base layer and then applied the Sun Ray Stencil overtop and used the same colours to build up a darker layer of colour. This is one technique where I still love using the regular distress inks more, since it takes A LOT more blending to reach that maximum saturation point.

I die-cut the background from a stitched scallop rectangle and then added a sentiment from All Smiles underneath the "hooray".




Time for some Monochromatic Magic:


I really loved the elegance of the white/light greys in the sample card and wanted to do something similar. I started off with another retired product- Winter Warmth dies (what can I say, I love my old MFT sets and still use them!). I used the floral image and one of the pompom images and embossed these into my white card base. Next I die cut a few layers of "Cheers", with the top layer being cut from a shimmery white/champagne paper. I adhered that to my embossed layer and then added a light grey banner greeting using a sentiment from Happy Hippos. I wanted a little something else on here, so I found some light grey "gems" and added them to the floral elements. They aren't really gems, but they have a nice shine. These are actually the leftover pieces that my friend gave me- she does the diamond paintings and there are lots of leftovers! These felt like the perfect way to tie in the grey word banner and add a little something.



And the final challenge- Awesome Ombre:


This card was a lot of fun to make. I just love how it turned out and will definitely be making more backgrounds like this. I started off with the Cascading Scallop stencil. I adhered it over my white card and blended Distress Oxide inks over top- Twisted Citron, Peacock Feathers, and Mermaid Lagoon. Although I was thinking mermaid tale when I made this, really, it works for any kind of scaly animal

Once I was happy with the blend, I kept the stencil applied and used a Versamark pad directly on top to ensure that embossing powder would stick to the whole thing. I have a really pretty rainbow glittery clear embossing powder so I applied that and the whole card is just so shimmery and pretty!

I chose a banner and a few critters from Friends with Fins to finish it off. I coloured the critters in green, blue and teal tones to match the background.












No comments:

Post a Comment