Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Northern Lights

So I've always loved a good galaxy scene, but hadn't really tackled the Northern Lights look.
I decided to make two cards, because once you try this type of background, you just have to make more!

For the first card, I used the following Distress Oxides:  From left to right I did: Black Soot, Chipped Sapphire, Hickory Smoke, Peacock Feathers, Lucky Clover, Hickory Smoke, Chipped Sapphire, and Black Soot. Here's the background, and then the completed card below.





Stamps and dies here were all Lawn Fawn:
Plus the Oxides noted above, many Copics, shimmery paper for the mountains, and and moon was created by using two circle punches a 1-inch and 3/4 inch 


For this card, I wanted more of that bright lime colour I associate with the Northern Lights I have seen locally. From top to bottom it goes, Black Soot, Chipped Sapphire, Hickory Smoke, Twisted Citron, Peacock Feathers, Hickory Smoke, Chipped Sapphire, Black Soot.

For this technique, I really find adding in a grey oxide is really what helps to make it. It helps to mute the brighter colours a bit and seems to ease their blending into the darker night sky colours.



I actually ended up changing the final card slightly. I cut down the blue border to be a very fine frame and placed the entire thing on a white card base.
Products were mostly Lawn Fawn again:





4 comments:

  1. Wow Natasha! I love your Northern Lights backgrounds and cards!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being so helpful in giving the colours used and the order. What did you use for the white spatters please? Gesso, Posca pen? or what ???? Lawn fawn not my style but can see a Bethlehem or other 'town' silhouette against such a beautiful sky, with 3 wise men in the foreground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use dollar store acrylic paint :) A little goes a long way!

      This would be lovely with a silhouette! I may have to try that!

      Delete